Tuesday 31 January 2012

Stoke-on-Trent folk star set for The Sugarmill album launch

Courtesy of Jim McShee, Jim at BBC Introducing from Stoke
Jim McShee, 20, is set to launch his debut album at Stoke-on-Trent’s The Sugarmill on Saturday 11thFebruary.

The bluegrass and country meets modern Indie and folk musician will release the EP entitled ‘The Coffin Nail’.

Jim said: “I can't wait to finally get it out there. My good friend James (of James Statham Productions) and I have spent a really long time putting it together. 

It's going to be such an exciting release, and I can't wait for people to hear it.”

Danni Brownsill, 24, Promoter at The Sugarmill, said: “We are seeing a wave of great new acoustic talents in the area and Jim is at the forefront of the scene.

It’s the second time Jim is headlining The Sugarmill and when he’s on stage he commands the audience. He is an incredible live performer. It’s a brave thing to do for a local artist, especially when it’s just one guy and his guitar.”

Jim performed a live in session for BBC Introducing from Stoke on Friday 27thJanuary.

He performed live the EP title track ‘The Coffin Nail Blues’, heart-warming EP track ‘Bloody Knuckle Blues’ and a cover of Katy Perry’s ‘The One That Got Away’.

Courtesy of Jim McShee, The Coffin Nail EP
He said: “I've known Scott (Thomas), from the show, since I started playing live last year. He expressed his interest recently on how he wanted me to come in and be part of the recently reintroduced live sessions that the show would be hosting. 

Naturally I snapped up the opportunity. It was a really fun experience.”

The Staffordshire man has created a unique sound originating from the likes of Johnny Cash and Bruce Springsteen.

At the moment my iPod is pretty limited, but I’ve been listening to a lot of The Handsome Family, Old Crow Medicine Show, and First Aid Kit. It’s a shame I listen to stuff that nobody knows about.”

Fellow Stoke-on-Trent folk musician, Aaron Mobberley, 18, said: “I love the raw qualities of his recordings and his heart felt lyrics. 

He describes his stories very well in one song and you understand his troubles as if they are your own.”

Aaron studied Music Technology alongside Jim at Newcastle-under-Lyme College.

If you see him live you will experience great showmanship, superb guitar playing and a raw honesty to his performance.”

Jimhas been playing local venues for several years and is now looking to the future.

Hesaid: “Don't get me wrong, I love playing locally, and the local crowds are always so warm and welcoming, but I feel it's about time that I started branching out a bit. I really want to start touring and playing outside of the local area more.”

Courtesy of Jim McShee, Jim is set to grace the stage again
The music scene in Stoke is hotter than it’s ever been, at the minute. It's always kind of been Metal and Indie that have been prominent within Stoke, but at the minute there are a lot of styles that seem to 'fill the void', as it were.

For example, there's the whole acoustic thing going on, that I'm extremely proud to be a part of, alongside some really talented artists.

The acts supporting Jim will include Emilio Pinchi, Ben Owen, Karl Bayley and Jon Dimiceli.

You can buy tickets for the event here and keep up-to-date with Jim on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment