Monday 29 October 2012

Q&A with Clock Opera's Dan Armstrong

Clock Opera's debut album Ways to Forget. Pic: clockopera.com
Clock Opera keyboard player Dan Armstrong caught up with Folkopops after the London band performed at Stoke-on-Trent’s Sugarmill on October 22. Guy Connelly (lead vocals, guitar, samples), Andy West (bass, guitar) and Che Albrighton (drums) make up the rest of Clock Opera.

Folkopops: How would you describe your music?

Dan Armstrong: Describing our music is difficult and failing to do so has led to some interesting attempts from other people. Putting those to one side, I would say something along the lines of intricate, energetic, euphoric, electronic humanity. Sorry.

Where do you get your influences from?

Personally I look for other realities that appeal to me and try to understand them. Terence McKenna would be a good example of that. Or Alan Watts. Whether or not such greatness has much effect on my life is another question. I hope so. Ultimately though, most influences are not gotten but force-fed. Adverts, patriotism, a corporate birth certificate; these things I did not pursue...I have the jingle for Curry Motors in my head. Any affect that has on the next song I write is entirely out of my hands.

What makes you tick? What makes you produce the music that you do?

In my view the most valuable thing an individual can do is explore and make sense of their own reality. It's the nearest thing you can get to truth. I believe making art of any kind is part of that process. The particular form your art takes is an attempt to express your reality.

You were brilliant supporting The Temper Trap in Camden, what was it like supporting the likes of high profile bands also including Maximo Park and Marina and the Diamonds?

Thank you. Sometimes supporting big acts is like being AFC Wimbledon playing away at Chelsea in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. You believe you have a better, more ethical club, that you enjoy it more, but the bank balances don't reflect that. Other times, you respect the opposition fully, lose on penalties and have a big bath together.

How do Moshi Moshi and Island Records support you career?

They are two separate institutions. I could give two answers of course but your question invites a side-step and I'm taking it.

How was it getting such positive reviews from the likes of The Guardian and having The Lost Buoys played as a background 2012 Olympic song? 

An interesting reality. The Lost Buoys video came out today. Take a look/listen.

Has everything so far hit you yet?

I try to run away before I get hit.

Have you played in Stoke before and are you looking forward to it?

We love performing our music and Stoke, as with Japan, will be no exception. A good friend of mine tells me he likes The Sugarmill as a venue and I trust his judgement.

Clock Opera's debut album Ways to Forget is out now. Visit their official website, Facebook and YouTube.

The Lost Buoys is set for release on November 5, watch the video below:

                

No comments:

Post a Comment