Monday 13 February 2012

Stoke Musicians Treat Locals at Old Brown Jug

Courtesy of Leo Robinson, Aaron Mobberley
The Old Brown Jug showcased an array of talent from the Stoke-on-Trent folk music scene on Wednesday 8th February.

The night opened with Heritage, followed by surprise act Jim McShee, Aaron Mobberley, Cult Party and headliners Dressed Like Wolves.

The Newcastle-under-Lyme pub provides an Indie Showcase on most Wednesdays.

Heritage comprises of Sian Matthews on vocals and guitar, Ben Cornwell on guitar, and Alex Liebeck on cello and piano.

Sian, 17, said: “I sometimes find it challenging because we only have a short set. I don't think it was as good as our Sugarmill gig, but it's a different environment so we'll have to get used to it.”

Modern blues artist, Jim McShee, was added to the bill late to provide a short acoustic set welcomed favourably by the locals.

Jim, 20, said: “This is an excellent place. The atmosphere has settled the foundations of the building, it's really lovely. I know they have bigger bands playing four band set-ups, but I think it's always got a place for Stoke acoustic music.”


Aaron Mobberley opened with crowd-pleaser 'Crayons', one of BBC Introducing from Stoke's Top 10 songs of 2011.

Aaron, 19, said: “I feel really comfortable in this place with whoever comes in really. Any gig I play just feels really homely and welcoming.


He added: “These last few weeks have been the busiest ever, but I've loved every part of it. It's been brilliant.”


Cult Party's Leo Robinson performed a lengthy, well-rounded set which provided a chilling atmosphere.


Leo, 17, said: “I've played here a couple of times. My old band, Gallo Viso, used to play here quite a bit, but we haven't practiced that much recently. I've been focusing on my own stuff.”

Courtesy of Leo Robinson, Cult Party
Dressed Like Wolves' lead Rick Dobbing felt some things could have gone differently.

He said: “Well the recording is really mellow, but when you want to play live you get bored of playing quietly. You want to be louder than everyone.”

When asked whether he would liken himself to Adolf Hitler in the third Reich, Rick agreed.

He added: “They are my songs. To be honest, they don't really contribute anything in the way of writing. I look at my songs and think I want electric guitar and stuff because they're better instruments. It's not a collaborative thing.

“It's like when Leo had his friend play; it's his stuff and that's the way it is for me. They're sort of helping to fill the gaps, but it's your thing. I don't class it as being a proper band.”

Old Brown Jug local, Nicholas Joseph, said: “I enjoyed most of the night, but it was a shame to see songs being ripped off. I want them to perform the best that they can be. I noticed that when I started making my points heard they started turning the volume up.


Courtesy of Leo Robinson, Dressed Like Wolves
“In performance, aggression sometimes gets the point across. You ask 'where's the passion?'”

Local musician Josh Barnett was quick to praise Cult Party. He said: “We played in Gallo Viso together and Leo really is an amazing songwriter. He's just a genius when it comes to writing songs.”

He added: “Leo, Aaron and Jim are the best three people I know around here. Sian as well; she's got such a good voice and writes great lyrics.”

The support acts of the night are part of the rising folk scene in Stoke and have become close friends.

Jim added: “I went to college with Aaron and we were both doing the same kind of thing so we got on really well.

“Leo (Robinson) from Cult Party was in another band called Gallo Viso before and we used to play with him all the time because we were really close friends with him.”

Aaron said: “It's a nice little group we've got together because there isn't much folk in Stoke.”


Below is a recording of Aaron Mobberley performing 'Crayons' at BBC Introducing from Stoke:




Below are the set lists for all of the acts:

Heritage

Song Two
Down
Light
Young but Old
Lost Found Gone

Jim McShee

Slaughter Hill
Helping Hand
Fishing Blues (Traditional)
Good Old Days Gone By
Green Green Rocky Road (Traditional)
Oh Faithful
The Coffin Nail Blues
Bloody Knuckle Blues

Aaron Mobberley

Crayons
Roulette Running Gold
What Did You Do To My Heart
Spare room

Cult Party

Come Back Margaret
Undead
Searching For
Bat Cave
Meadowshadow
The Fouth Dimension
School
City Bike
Softer Edges
Hurricane Girl
Fakie Cultslide
Tomb Raider

Dressed Like Wolves

Cancel The Sky
Messengers
Wax House
Foreign Bodies
I Heard The Devil
Emerald Green
Daydreamers (Ship Song)
Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment